The Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) was passed in 2005. Its goal is to have a fully accessible Ontario by 2025. In order to achieve its objective, the AODA will establish accessibility standards in the areas of:
- Customer Service
- Information and Communications
- Built Environment
Grimco is committed to providing its goods and services in ways that respect the dignity and independence of people with disabilities, allowing them to benefit from the same services, in the same places and in a similar way as other customers.
Grimco has developed policies and procedures to ensure accessibility is achieved through our services both in Ontario and across Canada. If you would like to provide us with feedback on a recent customer service experience in relation to accessibility please contact our Human Resources Department at 416-635-4141 or by email at HRCA@grimco.com.
For information about how Grimco plans to achieve full accessibility by 2025 see our Multi-Year Accessibility Plan below.
Grimco Canada Multi-Year Accessibility Plan
Last Revised: January 1st, 2021
This 2014-2021 accessibility plan outlines the policies and actions that will put in place to improve opportunities for people with disabilities.
Statement of Commitment
Grimco is committed to treating all people in a way that allows them to maintain their dignity and independence. We believe in integration and equal opportunity. We are committed to meeting the needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner, and will do so by preventing and removing barriers to accessibility and meeting accessibility requirements under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
Accessible Emergency Information
Grimco is committed to providing the customers and clients with publicly available emergency information in an accessible way upon request. We will also provide employees with disabilities with individualized emergency response information when necessary.
Grimco will provide training to employees, volunteers and other staff members on Ontario’s accessibility laws and on the Human Rights Code as it relates to people with disabilities. Training will be provided in a way that best suits the duties of employees, volunteers and other staff members.
Grimco will take the following steps to ensure employees are provided with the training needed to meet Ontario’s accessible laws by June 1, 2021
Issue HRC training as it relates to people with disabilities for all employees in the province of Ontario
Include HRC training as it relates to people with disabilities as part of the onboarding training for all new hires in Ontario
Grimco does not design, procure or acquire self-service kiosks in our current business activities, however, should we introduce them as part of our service to our customers we will ensure all employees involved consider the needs of people with disabilities in every stage of the process.
Information and Communications
Grimco is committed to meeting the communication needs of people with disabilities. We will consult with people with disabilities to determine their information and communication needs.
Grimco will take steps to make websites and content on those sites conform with WCAG 2.0, Level A by June 1, 2021.
Grimco will take the following steps to ensure existing feedback processes are accessible to people with disabilities upon request by January 1, 2015.
- Follow feedback processes as per the official Grimco Accessibility policy
- Make contact information available to submit feedback
Grimco will take the following steps to make sure all publicly available information is made accessible upon request by January 1, 2016.
- Create an information package to provide all publicly available information to those who request it by June 1, 2015
- Using the information package created above, make alternate copies of the package for people who require accommodation including
- Hard Copy & Electronic Copy
- Various Text Sizes
- Coloured and Black and White Copies
Alternative packages to be completed by December 31st, 2015.
- Create alternate versions of the information package to meet accommodations as per requests on an ongoing basis
- Post an accessibly copy of the information on the company website and also provide contact information to request the information in other versions
Grimco will take the following steps to make all websites and content conform with WCAG 2.0, Level AA by January 1, 2021.
- Review the current website against the WCAG 2.0 Level AA standards and perform an analysis by December 31st, 2015
- Create a plan to make changes to the website to meet WCAG standards
- Implement the plan and make continuing changes to the website and content through till June 1st, 2021.
Grimco is committed to fair and accessible employment practices.
We will take the following steps to notify the public and staff that, when requested, will accommodate people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes and when people are hired.
- Ensure there is equal opportunity for employment for all persons, including those with disabilities
- Include that Grimco will accommodate the needs of any applicants with disabilities upon request in all job advertisements
- Include that Grimco will accommodate the needs of any applicants with disabilities upon request in our online application center
- Provide contact information for applicants to request accommodation
Grimco will take the following steps to develop and put in place a process for developing individual accommodation plans and return-to-work policies for employees that have been absent due to a disability.
- Review current accommodation and Return to Work policies and programs by January 1st, 2017
- Revise and improve accommodation and RTW policies and programs during 2017
- Implement new policies and programs for 2018
- Train all managers on their role in assisting an individual back to work after returning from an absence due to disability throughout 2018
- Review and revise policies and programs every 3 years thereafter
We will take the following steps to ensure the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities are taken into account if is using performance management, career development and redeployment processes.
- Make someone from Human Resources available to assist employees with disabilities when going through routine employment processes, such as performance appraisals and
- Allow employees to make requests for accommodation and extended deadlines for routine employment processes as required
- Provide alternative solutions for all processes available upon request
Grimco will take the following steps to prevent and remove other accessibility barriers identified.
- Conduct surveys to assess the accessibility of our processes
- Use survey results to find barriers
- Implement plans to revise processes and eliminate accessibility barriers
Design of Public Spaces
Grimco will meet the Accessibility Standards for the Design of Public Spaces when building or making major modifications to public spaces.
Public spaces include:
- Recreational trails/beach access routes
- Outdoor public eating areas like rest stops or picnic areas
- Outdoor play spaces, like playgrounds in provincial parks and local communities
- Outdoor paths of travel, like sidewalks, ramps, stairs, curb ramps, rest areas and accessible pedestrian signals
- Accessible off street parking
- Service-related elements like service counters, fixed queuing lines and waiting areas
Grimco will put the following procedures in place to prevent service disruptions to its accessible parts of its public spaces.
- Ensure that all exits, ramps and other areas used to access the building are clear of barriers at all times
- Perform routine maintenance throughout the year to ensure building accessibility, especially in seasons where weather may cause barrier such as winter
In the event of a service disruption, we will notify the public of the service disruption and alternatives available.
For More Information
For more information on this accessibility plan or to request alternate accesible formats of this document free of charge, please contact Grimco Human Resources: